[AusNOG] Telstra Internet Direct - BGP

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Mon Jan 2 18:59:05 EST 2017

Dear Nathan

I can understand your pain of wanting control especially to protect your interfaces from unwanted denial of service traffic, as network BGP interfaces are very common targets against networks.

Whilst Telstra's policy is to supply a TID IP address they also allow you to place ACL rules for TID IP address space using the custdata portal, which can be extremely useful.

This way you can deny any unwanted traffic towards the TID IP address on both sides of the interface, effectively making the TID IP address inaccessible if required.

Examples which might be useful are below where 1.1.1.1 is your TID IP

Deny ip any 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.3
Deny icmp any 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.3

If you need any help or advise in securing services from DDoS attacks just ask

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg
P:  1300 769 972  |  M:  0488 997 207 |  D:  (03) 9751 7616
E:   james.braunegg at micron21.com<mailto:james.braunegg at micron21.com>  |  ABN:  12 109 977 666
W:  www.micron21.com/ddos-protection<http://www.micron21.com/ddos-protection>   T: @micron21

Follow us on Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/micron21> for important service and system updates.

[M21.jpg]

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.