[AusNOG] NBN Satellite Latency

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:07:35 EST 2017

On 6 Feb. 2017 11:57 am, "Scott Weeks" <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

--- ausnog at rossw.net wrote:
From: Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net>

...satellite delay is and will always be "undesirable" (if not unusable)
for the sort of real-time interactive stuff I do, including almost
exclusively CLI environment, VoIP, telepresence (controlling things
remotely)...

I've done these things over geo-sat and they're not as bad as many
try to portray.

If you lower your natural human tolerances for interactivity.

Geostationary satellite well exceeds the 0.1 second latency limit below
which humans perceive things to be responding instantly.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/response-times-3-important-limits/

It all depends on how close to the sat radio you
are, how well you've set up your QoS and how skilled folks are about
waiting to talk and not talk over each other.  That last part will
affect the normal uninitiated consumer, I'd imagine.

scott