[AusNOG] NBN Satellite Latency

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 16:01:42 EST 2017

On 5 February 2017 at 13:11, Jason Ross <jason at ethisec.com.au> wrote:
> It's interesting how a simple question can create a somewhat educational
> thread.
>
> FWIW, I've always worked on 300ms with satellite comms, seems to cover most
> scenarios.

If people want to see how "good" using the Internet over satellite is,
the following commands for a Linux router, such as OpenWRT will add
200ms in each direction (pppoe-wan, wlan0 are the WAN and LAN
interface names).

root at wndr3800:~# tc qdisc del dev pppoe-wan root
root at wndr3800:~# tc qdisc del dev wlan0 root
root at wndr3800:~# tc qdisc add dev pppoe-wan root netem delay 200ms
root at wndr3800:~# tc qdisc add dev wlan0 root netem delay 200ms