[AusNOG] Telstra Network Down

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Feb 2 19:34:53 EST 2017

Much snippage of extra and inconsistent quoting below, but to amplify
Robert's point - cloud really is, someone elses computer. There should
be no inferred level of resilience.

When you subscribe to a cloud service you are also selecting a service
level (most cloud providers will explain their level of service
availability under normal conditions), and you are also, basically,
outsourcing the overheads of maintaining your service to someone who is
presumably benefiting from 'scale' - the ability to run multiple tenants
on the same systems, and 'buy in bulk' where smaller operators cannot do
so competitively.

But it's still outsourcing. If the offering doesn't provide the SLA you
want, if the level of control and influence you have over the level of
resilience provided is insufficient, vote with your feet and find a
position that's adequate for you.

It's relatively easy to offer a fairly resilient service (say, 99.9%
availability) if you use some HA components and remove most single
points of failure. That's pretty decent availability, more than enough
for many applications.  But not enough for others.

Operating >99.9% is doable, but can rapidly spike your costs - and
depending on what you're doing, can also spike complexity. You have to
choose whether it's worth the time and expense of that additional
engineering.

So it's possible to use cloud without also being a Highly Available
service with multi-site resilience. No-one should mistake cloud for HA,
unless the option you choose, stipulates as such. And presumably has to
charge commensurate to the level of investment put in to achieve that HA.

Mark.