[AusNOG] Telstra IP Transit (maybe only ADSL) Issue

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:30:57 EST 2017

I'm really starting to fret about the quality of DNS implementations around
the place. Perhaps we should have an informed discussion about redundancy,
caching, configuring multiple DNS in dhcp? It's not just Telstra as I've
noticed it a few times in the Optus service I get. Or even a DNS
implementation 101 session at Ausnog? - N

>From news.com.au this am:

Telstra customers in Sydney and surrounding areas complain of home internet
outages

TELSTRA customers are reporting home internet outages this morning.

There has been a spike in complaints from about 7am, with a majority of
complaints coming from Sydney and surrounding areas with both NBN and ADSL
users complaining of issues.

At the time of writing website Aussie Outages
<http://aussieoutages.com/status/telstra> which tracks service
interruptions and outages has received more than 385 complaints from
Telstra customers. Meanwhile plenty of others have taken to social media in
a bid to ask Telstra what’s going on.

A number of customers are claiming it’s a DNS (Domain Name System) issue
with some suggesting that Telstra customers could change their DNS to
8.8.8.8 to use Google’s free alternative DNS system until the problem is
fixed.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/consumer-issues/telstra-customers-in-sydney-and-surrounding-areas-complain-of-home-internet-outages/news-story/4c865e1f0c3085eab12fd68938715a33

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:28 AM, James Braunegg <james.braunegg at micron21.com