[AusNOG] Switch installation in data centre racks - front facing, or rear facing?

Nick Pratley nick.pratley at serversaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 29 09:23:13 EST 2017

Hey James,

We do something similar and have found that if you mount the switches in the middle of the racks at the back – at least with the APC PDUs we use there is nothing in the way – tend to mount them where the screen is on the rails. Just enough room for 3 switches there.

Top switch for servers in the top half, middle switch for IPMI / drac and the bottom switch for the servers in the bottom half. It works quite well, the cabling is nice and neat and doesn’t get in the way of anything.

Regards,
Nick