[AusNOG] NextDC Melbourne - Scheduled Power Maintenance -, 15th August

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Thu Aug 10 14:54:28 EST 2017

On 8/10/2017 10:13 AM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>  From the latest update today, It appears that most of the works are being postponed for the time being
>
> Not all devices within racks support 2 feeds and planning is involved with these devices, which is why it is crucial to receive accurate information about any pending outages or upgrades
> to the NextDC DataCentres which affect services.
If these services are mission critical then you really should have duel
PSU units, so that when one feed gets taken offline the equipment
automatically switches to the other feed. They won't just disconnect
both feeds at once because that would be stupid and if the entire DC was
offline for too much time then that would put the owners in a rather
awkward situation legally, as after say 8 or 10 hours of downtime it
wouldn't be good for the owners lets put it that way.
If the single PSU units are a part of a customers co-located equipment
then really your terms of service agreement should exclude liability
under your maintenance clauses.
I don't understand why anyone would be using single PSU equipment in a
DC environment now a days when you can buy refurbished servers that come
with two PSU as standard even when you buy them without raid.
Also for anything that is really really mission critical you should have
it hosted in multiple datacentres anyway so if something stupid does
happen that you can't control you at least still have services online as
the load balanced services would just switch.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager