[AusNOG] Fwd: Mikrotik > Telstra DA MRV Issue

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 12:32:10 EST 2017

On 10 August 2017 at 09:21, Cameron Murray <cameron.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Been fighting a weird issue for the past week with a AAPT resold Telstra
> Wholesale DA service.
>
> The service was completed last week and successfully tests by both carriers
> however with the customers Mikrotik device the service does not function
> correctly with only RX data within a tagged vlan 1024 (This is an untagged
> service and the AGG vlan is not 1024).

Sounds like the service is not VLAN tag transparent. What does the
service spec say about supported Ethernet frame types?

> When we perform a data capture from within the Mikrotik we can see ARP and
> ECHO responses being performed from the CPE to the AGG Router that are being
> sent out untagged.
>
> The show stopper here is if we plug a laptop directly into the MRV the
> service works correctly.

I don't know if you're able to do it on Windows; under Linux it is
easy to add a VLAN tag to create a new subinterface with 'vconfig'.

Give that a try and if that fails, that isolates the issue to the
service not the Mikrotik routers.