[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Aug 1 17:09:44 EST 2017

On Jul 31, 2017, at 10:58 PM, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:

> On 31Jul17, Mark Newton allegedly wrote:
>>> What I was thinking is that NBN charges each RSP per byte - that's
>>> billing/polling a couple of 100 RSPs at the NNI which strikes me as
>>> very tractable.
>>
>> Why are you proposing that a fixed-cost network needs to have a usage-based charge?
>
> I suggested a fixed component for the fixed parts and a variable
> component for the variable parts.

The variable component is insignificant. Breaking it out into a significant element of the billing model is a commercial distortion.

This is not a complex network. No long-haul switching, no transit, no peering. Switching at the FAN and POI.

In normal operation, with a $40 per month flat-rate port fee the network will take in slightly under half a billion dollars *per month* in access fees. If that isn’t enough to plan for 5 year lifecycles on active switching elements, everyone at NBNco should be sacked and replaced with people who are competent.

   - mark