[AusNOG] BGP Hijacking

Michael Dale mdale at dalegroup.net
Thu Sep 29 15:29:22 EST 2016

Hi All,

We got an alert this morning from BGPmon that one of our prefixes was being advertised without our permission in another country.

We contacted their upstream provider and luckily it seems to be either a false alert or at the very least a temporary issue.

We don't run BGP ourselves and leave that up to our providers (and honestly for us I don't see the need to run BGP directly).

Is there something that we can do to limit our exposure if this were to happen again? Has anyone else had a similar issue before?

Thanks,
Michael.