[AusNOG] RISK - IT Industry - Concern Over Equipment Being Installed in Data Centre Facilities

Mister Pink misterpink at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 09:19:35 EST 2016

Chris,

What you are describing is known as a Black Swan event - that is an event
that is has an extremely low likelihood, but with a very high consequence.
There are many many such scenarios, some of which have been alluded to on
this thread, such as planes falling on DC's, meteor strikes, but it also
includes kidnapping of key personnel, global pandemics, military coup
d'etat, if it's conceivable we have almost certainly thought of it, and in
most cases it has already happened somewhere.

When we review the security of a DC, or any other resilient systems, we
adopt a risk based approach, typically using the ISO 30000 risk assessment
methodology.
In short you try to come up with an exhaustive but high level list of
everything that possibly can go wrong, and populate a 5X5 matrix of
likelihood and consequence so that you can devise appropriate treatments
for the risks you have identified.

When you embark on such a process, you typically end up with a long list of
things, and you then have to decide what controls you will prescribe to
treat those risks. In the real world, you never have enough money and
resources to treat all of them (or at least all of them in the depth you
would like to), so you prioritise on the most critical ones, and get as far
down the list as your budget will allow before having a tussle with the
board about the level of risk they are prepared to accept.

The problem is, you tent to run out of money and resources long before you
get to the part of that list that is determined by likelihood ratings that
are skewed by never having happened before.

If you work in defence, then you are going to be able to get further down
that risk than if you work for a telco, and a telco will get further than a
not for profit etc etc.  This is called risk appetite, and you can't just
arbitrarily state that you have a low appetite for risk, you have to put
your money where your mouth is, and this is ultimately why risk is
opportunity. (If company A spends 1 million dollars a year on asteroid
defences, and company B spends nothing, in all probability, Company B will
not git hit by an asteroid, and Company A will go out of business).

For this reason you will struggle to find a DC anywhere in the world that
will put x-rays on their doors, because the cost alone would render their
services unaffordable.
If an attack such as this took place tomorrow (And it might well), perhaps
people would then consider paying a premium for this sort of service, and
DC's might begin to offer it (Assuming x-raying metal boxes is even
possible)
Personally I would not be counseling my customers to do this, because the
simple fact is there are numerous other ways I can think of that would
cause the same amount of disruption without the need for bomb making
capabilities, the cost, the required lead time to deploy or the risk of
getting caught.  (consider if you will the miles of exposed fibre
throughout the London Underground and the cost of a cordless angle grinder).

As Macca eloquently pointed out, the way to mitigate this risk, along with
hundreds of other black swan events and an even longer list of more
plausible corner case scenarios is to build the appropriate level of
resilience in to your systems using disparate
providers/locations/technologies, something that is getting easier and
cheaper with each passing day thanks to cheap public cloud services.

Eric P