[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email - Are you Serious???

chrismacko80 chrismacko80 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 00:19:59 EST 2016

RE: https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/DRIGP-recipients.pdf

A few comments;

1. The list is incomplete, there's many ISP's and hosting firms that
haven't submitted grant funding, the list may need to be expanded, and
it's currently over $80m!!! Is there a secondary round for ISP's that
missed it on the first round?
2. Seriously, can we show our politicians in future that we can work
collaboratively and show that we can deliver a solution together at a
lower cost of ownership and provide software that we can then
repurpose for other areas/innovations? I'd certainly feel all requests
for funding should have had to be fully substantiated, at least that's
what someone good in a level of leadership would require to prove the
costs had indeed been incurred. What dodo doesn't? One without
sufficient business experience. It's easy when it's not your own money
and you have no personal onus over the public funds that you're laying
waste with. Has everyone put their plan into action, or is there a
majority that still are yet to complete the works required? Would
there be any group that are willing to collaborate to create a joint
solution?
3. I'm sure given an opportunity to collaborate on the software
required to deliver a joint solution, we'd be able to deliver this at
a fraction of the cost, even if we housed this within 2 or 3
government data centres that were built specifically for this purpose
and well less than one third the cost including 2 or 3 data centres
for this specific purpose.
4. On a seperate topic, how do you go about requesting access to data
under this legislation - even employees under Telstra aren't aware
what to do in this regard.

Chris.