[AusNOG] RISK - IT Industry - Concern Over Equipment Being, Installed in Data Centre Facilities

Jay Christiaens jchristiaens at asi.com.au
Mon Sep 26 13:23:54 EST 2016

> You need to have a registered business or organisation  before any DC will provide you with services.
The only thing this means is that an attack would likely be on the terrorist scale (but not as hard to pull off as flying a plane into a building) and targeted at big targets like ASX, multinational companies or government.
This doesn't mean it's impossible nor that smaller businesses won't suffer from collateral, if it happens.

> Also if a server does happen to catch fire, most datacentres have fire suppression installed which will extinguish a fire pretty quickly.
Explosions may be quicker than a fire extinguishing system and I think that would be the biggest risk.

As with all risks, you should calculate the chances of it happening, the potential damage and the cost to reduce the risk to determine action.

Definitely some interesting opinions and information in this discussion.

Jay