[AusNOG] RISK - IT Industry - Concern Over Equipment Being Installed in Data Centre Facilities

chrismacko80 chrismacko80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:34:23 EST 2016

Halo (Polish for hello) - Weird, I received Skeeve's, Mark's and
Bevan's replies via gmail, still no show for Paul's and Colin's.

Skeeve - I agree about attempting to keep it behind closed doors, but
the reality is that behind closed doors doesn't inform customers
sufficiently of the risk existing throughout the industry, nor does it
allow us the opportunity to collaborate within the IT industry to
offer a further solution in mitigating this risk to a sufficient
degree. Most SMB clients can't afford DR, and in most cases can only
afford to host from one location. Many industry experts have agreed
with me that this risk has been a ticking alarm clock, and that we
need to wake up to it. I'm aware of some countries technical
capabilities (I've seen some interesting and very technically able
items developed by hackers/phishers/scammers that appear to be
employed by some of those countries governments that I've seen in the
past) and would believe that they are fully aware of this exposed risk
and could use it to our disadvantage. I am serious about my concerns
as an entire industry, I want to continue in development of websites
and apps, and don't want any location I host in being affected by such
a risk.

Mark, I would agree that the risk overall is low to an individual data
centre. I would however believe that it is a high risk for the
industry overall. Are you aware of any data centres in Australia that
scan for damaging equipment - I'd like my apps hosted there if I'm
able. Are you aware of any data centres anywhere in the world that
offer this type of scanning and protection for clients?

Regarding your comment "Getting access to the volume and/or types of
these materials..... is very hard", I would not agree with you on this
point. It is possible for another group or country determined to dent
our way of life and our technology to setup a company that is
legitimate within Australia and meets with all the regulations and
controls in place, still whilst posing a potential intent to damage
and provide a risk/threat to our overall industry and way of life.
It's my understanding there are countries that protect better in this
regard by only allowing nationals to be at the helm of a company
fronted from its' zones. Distribution and diversity does lower the
risk somewhat, however insufficiently in particular if there are a
group or groups of people determined to disrupt the effectiveness of
many countries and the overall technology of those countries citizens.

RE: ASX - I don't believe the ASX has 14 very large data centres, that
are spread across the 7 capital cities, and I would certainly feel
that it's absolutely necessary for our financial markets to be
protected by the scanning of equipment being installed, to safeguard
investors, in particular if they allow customers to provide their own
equipment. Does anyone know if the ASX has this type of damaging
substances scanning equipment? Does any company have any technology
that could be re-purposed for the data centre application in a cost
effective manner? I'm aware Carl Zeiss have technology in the xray
microscopy space and xray micro CT space, although I'm unsure if this
can be suited for the data centre purpose/application and whether they
can scan fully packaged boxes and racks of equipment. I've reached out
to members at Schneider Electric to see if they have any technology in
this space. I've been led to believe that our Customs (Australia) has
this type of capability, and seeing the checks at airports would mean
there are certain technologies that our Airports also use, would we be
able to re-purpose these types of technology in our data centres?

Bevan - considering your previous background in large data centres as
well as your personal investments into the public markets, I really
would feel that your response requires to be more than just "+1". :-p
 What did your data centres do to check for potentially damaging
substance/equipment? I don't believe I saw any such technology within
Pipe Networks nor NextDC, mind you I did tour two NextDC locations and
was just operating by technical specifications of Pipe Networks data
centres from other parties.

Mark, regarding your second email - Interesting video, I don't have
sound on this system, so I'll check this later on the phone. Some
interesting technologies there that I wasn't previously aware of,
thanks for sharing this.

PS - Sorry for the typos in reply to Colin's email last night, most
wouldn't know that English is my second language and I hadn't started
learning English until my first day of primary school and onwards,
still getting better at English! Thanks for your replies, it's
positive that a handful have provided their input to their thoughts on
this risk. Hopefully a few more once they've arrived at the office and
had their morning coffee.

Chris.