[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 07:17:48 EST 2016

Yes, you're right Skeeve. Other people being silly (or uneducated) enough
to open documents or click links that deliver malware that no common
anti-virus package can pick up (you're aware of course that these things
mutate to stay one step ahead of such tools), that is a reflection of my
skill.

The fact that I have set up recovery systems to be able to retrieve files,
and have been able to convince senior managers that the investment in
appropriate tools (education to slow the incident rate, recovery tools for
when it invariably does happen) for this purpose, that is no reflection on
my capabilities at all.

If, on the other hand, you think:

* it is in the best interests of a client to pay money to a criminal
enterprise with no reasonable expectation that they will deliver the
decryption key as promised;
* that paying won't simply mark the victim as one willing to pay again;

When you:

* have apparently failed to inform them of a well known threat;
* failed to advise them to take simple and inexpensive steps to ensure that
business-critical documents are adequately protected;

Then what does this say about your skills or even who's interests you have
at heart?

Keep digging. That hole is getting bigger.