[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Sep 23 06:42:19 EST 2016

:  On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, at 22:45, Michael Bullut wrote:
:
:  Anyone that has succeeded in eradication without sending a ransom?

> On 23/09/2016 5:03 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> What's wrong with negotiating? I've had a couple of customers talk
> down Ransomware attacks to about half the price.
>
> If you need the data (no backup, can't restore), what's the harm in
> asking?

They never stop coming back for more.  They're extortionists and
like the physical bullies they just keep coming back.  Also they
never fix what they broke because they would not be able to
extort the victim further.  As others said, restore from a known
good backup.  If they don't have one, it's going to be an
expensive (at least in terms of time) lesson for the victim.

scott