[AusNOG] Complexity is not an excuse for an industry-wide cop-out (was Re: Conroy quit.)

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Tue Sep 20 19:51:54 EST 2016

It is certainly possible to do no frills, sustainable, good performance
retail broadband in NZ for the $55 mark -
https://flip.co.nz/what-does-flip-cost/ there is a bit more of a cost to get
unlimited, but it's not really much in a scale of things. Unlimited 100/20
will run you about $90 https://www.slingshot.co.nz/plans/ultra-fast-fibre
.These are sustainable offerings with no power or similar lock in. In
general, you will get full rate on these plans with no real peak slowdowns
in normal operation. NZ is highly competitive market, I've always found it
amazing that the Australian market seemed to stall (in regard to regulation,
monopolies, assess costs and speeds) 5-10 years behind and now the
difference is quite stark. Yes, being a retail service provider in NZ is a
very low margin business, but companies do survive to fight on and the level
of service provided is actually generally very good.

> From: "Alan Maher"
>
> Anyone who has visited NZ might have a clue that the topography
> ensures that the cost of dragging any kind of cable internally is
expensive.
  While undoubtably true, this topography premium certainly should be
included in the regulated rate for local loop charges. My question basically
boils down to, are there any market structure (failures) similar to
Australia that structurally make it unfeasible to have good broadband in New
Zealand for $55(ish) plus a possible overseas bandwidth premium? The cost of
the local loop does not appear to be one.