[AusNOG] Upstream PMTUD broken? Packets blackhole

s.s.o.n.i.k+a.u.s.n.o.g at gmail.com s.s.o.n.i.k+a.u.s.n.o.g at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:41:33 EST 2016

Yeah, that's the kind of problem I'm up against. No changes to any configuration, and all of a sudden there's trouble all over the place. Something happened in NSW, and that's the location of the international link used most heavily. Europe - no trouble, provided there's no NSW hops.

Since originally posting here, something upstream has been happening. Tests from New York work for larger packet sizes than before, even though expected ICMP messages are still AWOL. I hope someone accidentally fixes the problem while making changes for their large clients, or peering networks.

Since seeing decreased blackhole window size, I've ramped MTU's back up to 1492 and 1500 for PPPoE and Ethernet clients respectively, and clamped MSS to appropriate sizes to keep packets from disappearing. It still doesn't help anything other than TCP, but that's the rub.

Kind Regards,

-Dave