[AusNOG] Aus Industry Congratulations Email

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Tue Sep 6 11:22:46 EST 2016

On 09/05/2016 18:23, Brent Paddon wrote:
> https://www.ag.gov.au/NationalSecurity/DataRetention/Documents/DRIGP-recipients.pdf
>
> Some of the people on that list should be ashamed of themselves for the $$ amounts they applied for/received IMHO.

I'm not an operator, so WTH, but I'm confused by the dominant sentiment over the last 24hrs.

Politicians, like many people, respect that which costs. They'll think expensive services are more important than cheaper. Not better, not more efficient. Just more important. (Think lawyers, lobbyists, consultants...)

So, contrarily, I'd be thanking those who've argued for loads of cash. They're selling a message to the government that Internet service is a serious, costly business. Perhaps even an important business. Perhaps service providers are worth listening too when they (try to) speak (as a lobby) in the future.

Curiosity forces me to ask: What influence in government circles is gained by aiming cheap?

<asbestos_undies=true>

cheers,
gja