[AusNOG] OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

sobmalss sobmalss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 07:53:18 EST 2016

Without getting deep into technical comparisons; Back in the old days... ISIS won some kind of race and was then deployed in some big networks and as a result it was very important that the routing teams at a couple of big vendors put a lot of effort into maintaining its stability and extending the protocol to deal with all the new stuff that big customer wanted to have it do. ISIS was both stable and extensible and so it served the purpose, perhaps somewhere along the line it even got labeled as the cool routing protocol to use.

Both protocols eventually became mature and stable (well every now and again they fiddle under the hood and break something), OSPF became deployed and supported with every routing box vendor and between every routing box vendor.

These days OSPF being more widely deployed (well last time I looked a few years back) it tends to get more more love from the product teams when it comes to doing new stuff (multi area TE is an example where it was first supported in OSPF). So it may be worth looking into support for your particular use case to see if it's all ok from both the protocol and multi vendor side of things?

If you are in a mixed vendor environment, chances are someone has made the OSPF kids play nice together already.

And in this part of the world OSPF tends to be listed on engineers resumes.

IPv6? Perhaps someone wants to go into the V2 vs V3 details? Deployments?

Dave.L