[AusNOG] IPv6 excuses

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 27 17:15:41 EST 2016

In message <429C4C9BB681C54C828A0B8B353DCE551E284A7D at svr2012.pc.local>, Nathana
el Bettridge writes:

> I wonder how long before the AGs office realizes v6 can let them track
> usage of individual devices (for the data retention stuff), and mandates
> v6 and the disabling of privacy extensions?

They don't track individual devices with IPv4 today.  A IPv6 /48
is just as good as a IPv4 /32.  There is too much NAT to get to
individual devices today.

To make their job easier they may mandate /48's for every consumer
so they don't need to track what size prefixes are being handed
out.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC