[AusNOG] Aust IPv6 growth now tripled

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu May 19 21:58:42 EST 2016

On 19/05/2016 8:33 PM, David Hughes wrote:
> Hey Kate,
>
> This doesn't look to be a local phenomenon.  If you use Eric's tool and include plots for the UK and France for example there are similar unprecedented growth spikes all starting in the the first few months of this year.   All significantly different to the world wide average.  Perhaps some countries that were lagging behind just realised what's going on.
Agreed it doesn't look like a local Australian effect. Looks to me more like a popular
content site has IPv6-enabled the service finally, enabling a latent pool of
IPv6-enabled end-points to reveal themselves to the Google sensors.

Or it might (speculation!)  loosely correlate with the launch and update nag-screens
for Windows 10 in each country - entirely possible that Windows 10 or the new Edge
browser prefers IPv6 more aggressively than previous versions, so the rapid jump might
correlate with OS update activity. The plot for UK in particular might be explained by
this.

Germany, Belgium, Switzerland (but not France) share very similar bumps and dips in
the most recent 6 months - perhaps a German-localised language content site has been
experimenting.

> Interesting that countries such as Germany have been on a steep growth curve for several years now.  Clever buggers ....
indeed - check out Belgium, at over 40%.

Paul.