[AusNOG] iron secure email service

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed May 18 14:45:03 EST 2016

Close but not quite.  CRES (Cisco Registered Envelope Service) is basically
the cloud version of this, run by Cisco.  What BoA is using is the older
on-prem version which is no longer sold but is fundamentally the same thing
only without using Cisco servers, although I don't think that was ever sold
under the Cisco brand (it was originally PostX, and then later IronPort
when it was acquired).

It's been many years since I've sold/supported PostX/IronPort, but at the
time the Java stuff was only required if you were attaching files,
otherwise it could use Javascript (in which case the message was decrypted
locally), or just straight HTML (message decrypted on the server so it was
slower).

As for why people do this, in many areas it's mandatory that certain email
is encrypted. TLS generally does NOT meet the requirements (as you can only
guarantee it's encrypted for the first hop, not later hops or in storage).
Solutions like PXE, Voltage, ProofPoint Encryption and others generally do
meet the letter of the regulations - even if they really aren't good
"encryption" in any sense of the word...

  Scott