[AusNOG] Off Topic - Brisbane recruitment recommendations

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Sat May 14 14:58:28 EST 2016

On 5/13/2016 11:49 PM, Andrew Khoo wrote:
> someone sage once said here that "learning how to code today is like
> learning to be a welder in the 70s".
>
> it's better to be the person that manages the coders, or provides
> architectural leadership to them, than to be a coder.
>
> and you are fully correct re being able to adapt and be "one" with the
> environment.
>
> <snip>
But you need to know how to code to be able to manage the coders
properly and to achieve decent results.
Plenty of horror stories around the place where non technical types have
gone and employed outsourced contractors to build web projects and the
thing has gone south because the client has had NFI of what they are
doing or even what they are asking for.
You need to be proficient enough to know what needs to be done so you
can achieve it.
In terms of automation I've been using a lot more of it in recent years,
but you still need to manually check things as sometimes stuff goes wrong.
Tools like GTMetrics have come in handy as well for checking things like
the loading times of websites as website speed has become increasingly
important.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly