[AusNOG] Au IPv6 doubling?

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Fri May 6 19:44:25 EST 2016

Although if anyone can convince someone like a bank to get in to the
21st century it would be Apple.

Just look at the fuss generated when ANZ started supporting Apple Pay
and not the other 3 big banks.

On 06/05/16 19:23, Mattia Rossi wrote:

> Am 06.05.2016 um 10:57 schrieb Mark Delany:
>>> Oh anyway.. this is about IPv6 isn't it? ??
>>> The Apple announcement should hopefully speed things up.
>> I'm not sure why people think this.
>>
>> As far as I understand it, the announcement is merely stating that
>> apps must work in an environment where there is only a v6 interface
>> available on the device. This is presumably to support operators that
>> can't get - or don't want to buy - v4 addresses. (Or operators that
>> don't want to buy ugly and costly CGNATs).
>>
>> This will have no effect on dual-stacked environments and no effect on
>> the amount of v6 traffic generated. It's merely making sure that there
>> are no legacy v4 dependencies in app code, such as size and format of
>> network addresses. Given that most of the networking is abstracted
>> away from apps on iOS, most apps will not have to make any changes at
>> all to accomodate this requirement.
>>
>> As far as speeding things up, the Apple stacks have long supported and
>> favoured v6 so any increase in traffic s still completely dependent on
>> whether operators issue v6 addresses and whether end-points advertise
>> them.
>>
> I can second that. Apple requires the App to be IPv6 ready, not the
> service behind the App.
> Otherwise you could just say goodbye to all E-Banking Apps, all Public
> Transport Apps, all Weather Apps etc.
> Those services won't be IPv6 ready on the server side for another 5
> years or so (with Banks probably even longer)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mat

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!