[AusNOG] ISP DNS Options

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:41:46 EST 2016

On 3 May 2016 1:41 PM, "Tony Wicks" <tony at wicks.co.nz> wrote:

> Load balancing, health checking, security inspection, and extreme ease in
adding/removing servers as desired with little effort. See there is a point.

Other than security inspection, got all the rest with a BGP anycast setup,
and it took no more than a few hours to develop and build the load
balancing/fail over capability. Didn't care what was in customers DNS
server lookups, so didn't need "security".

Used our BGP customer communities to weight the announcements of the pair
of anycast addresses announced by each DNS server via Quagga, assigned and
advertised them from a dummy interface, with a health check script that
downed the dummy interface withdrawing the BGP announcements when health
failed. Each server itself had a separate unicast IP address so you can
login to fix it. Removing server was as as easy as 'ip link set dummy0
down'.

Scale up by scaling out, putting pairs of servers closer to a smaller set
of users with the same pair of anycast addresses.

We wouldn't have got the "perfect" load balancing the a LB may have given
us, however going by the cacti query graphs we were running, we'd have to
have put effort into measuring it to find out how good it was or wasn't.
IOW, it was quite good enough.

The only thing we got burnt on was at the time Centos had *two* places to
change the Linux connection table tracking capacity, and we only knew of
one of them. After getting caught with that, we just bypassed connection
tracking completely for all port 53 packets in and out - we didn't need or
want stateful firewalling for that traffic.

I'm happy to buy of the shelf vendor kit when they can do it cheaper and/or
better than me, but have a think about how hard the problem really is, what
you really need and what you might be able to compromise a bit on, and you
may have more funds for the Christmas party.

I don't know what LBs cost at the time, probably at least $2k each, and
we'd have needed two. Our solution probably cost no more than $400 in staff
time, achieving the same result.

always do so.  What advantage is the middlebox supposed to confer here,
versus not having one?