[AusNOG] IPv6 Reverse DNS, was: ISP DNS Options

Chris lists at shthead.com
Tue May 3 16:51:13 EST 2016

On 03/05/2016 12:15 PM, David Beveridge wrote:
> I'd be more interested to know how people are solving the reverse DNS
> problem in IPv6.
>
> Ideally customers should be able to self manage any static entries
> they have and have a fall back for everything else, with matching AAAA
> of course.

I use PowerDNS with the MySQL and pipe backend. My IPv6 reverse zones
are added as normal to the SQL database.

PowerDNS is configured to query the MySQL backend first followed by the
pipe backend. If the PTR record doesn't exist in the MySQL backend it
then uses the pipe backend which runs a modified copy of this script:
https://github.com/endreszabo/PowerDNS-Dynamic-Reverse-Backend

If there is no existing PTR record for the (IPv4 or IPv6) address in the
SQL database an auto generated PTR record is used instead. The script
takes care of forward and reverse, so a valid A/AAAA record is also
returned when querying the hostname.