[AusNOG] IPv6 Reverse DNS, was: ISP DNS Options

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Tue May 3 16:44:42 EST 2016

I use PowerDNS/MySQL for our IPv4 and v6 PTR records.

It was pretty trivial to set up assuming you own your IP block.

I don't allow customers to manage their own records but that is due to
no one wanting to do it, not because I can't.
It would be pretty trivial to add that capability.

On 03/05/16 14:15, David Beveridge wrote:
> I'd be more interested to know how people are solving the reverse DNS
> problem in IPv6.
>
> Ideally customers should be able to self manage any static entries
> they have and have a fall back for everything else, with matching AAAA
> of course.
>
> I just got an IPv6 PTR record done by Telstra and it took several
> weeks to provision.
>
> I'm thinking of have a SQL database with PowerDNS (or ProBind) for the
> statics and LUA or Perl plugin for the dynamics.
>
> dave
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 12:38 PM, paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <mailto:paul%2Bausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au>
> <paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au
> <mailto:paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All, we are looking at DNS Server options for an ISP business
>     of around 10,000 customers using ADSL, NBN, Ethernet, and Wireless
>     services.
>
>     Currently the BIND solution which is in place is working but we
>     are wondering what people would suggest as a next step that is
>     easy to manage and cost effective to implement and that can grow
>     with the business to handle 20-50,000 services eventually.
>
>     Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Paul

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!