[AusNOG] Consultation on s313(3) use

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon May 2 13:35:03 EST 2016

On Apr 30, 2016, at 1:20 AM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we're honest, current technology is capable of routing the IPs of suspect FQDNs for DPI leaving the bulk of internet traffic untouched (as is done in the UK's CleanFeed).

If we’re honest, we won’t be using UK’s cleanfeed as a worked example, because it doesn’t actually work, especially with increasing penetration of HTTPS.

> In such a scenario, the privacy arguments no longer wash, and the technology arguments that applied 10 years ago have been outpaced by Moore's Law. Time our industry picked its socks up.

Yeah actually nah.

> The Inquiry mentions that instead of silent blocking, there should redirection to a blocking page, notification that the page has been blocked, the reason for the block, and a line of appeal. That all seems ridiculously sensible.

Explain for the listeners how you will detect HTTPS URLs, prevent access to them, and redirect them to “blocked” pages.

We’ll wait while you collect your thoughts.

  - mark