[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable

Jim Woodward jim at alwaysnever.net
Tue Mar 29 18:21:06 EST 2016

I have a couple of ATEN UC232A's but had trouble with newer DELL and HP
laptops with the port freezing and locking up, did some research and
people were recommending USB to RS232 utilising the FTDI chipset over
the ATEN's Prolific chipset.

The one I bought is a SABRENT 6ft (3 Metre) USB 2.0 to RS232 FTDI
chipset cable off ebay, it has performed flawlessly on every OS and
hardware i've thrown at it, Desktop, laptop, Windows, Linux, OSX.

Can't recommend them highly enough, the ATEN's I have relegated to a few
fixed console boxes where they perform just fine in their own roles.

Kind Regards,
Jim.