[AusNOG] Flexible Ethernet (FlexE)

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:40:30 EST 2016

Hi,

Came across this recently, probably of interest here. My interest was
because it supports link bundling, similar to LAG, without the
dependencies that LAG has on various link and upper layer traffic
profiles e.g., MAC addresses being distributed, TCP and UDP headers in
a fixed location and with distributed ports etc.

"What is FlexEthernet?"
http://www.ethernetsummit.com/English/Collaterals/Proceedings/2015/20150415_1C_Gustlin.pdf

"Flex Ethernet Implementation Agreement"
www.oiforum.com/wp-content/uploads/OIF-FLEXE-01.0.pdf

Seems to be focussed on 100GigE links currently, however as vertically
scaling down is usually easier than vertically scaling up, I wouldn't
think it would be that hard to scale it down to 1 and 10GigE links in
the future.

Regards,
Mark.