[AusNOG] AWS sites inaccessciible

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:16:53 EST 2016

On 14 June 2016 at 21:50, Tin, James <jtin at akamai.com> wrote:
> Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner.
>
> Chris is absolutely right here.
>

> I am the principal enterprise security architect at Akamai and sometimes
> glance thru this mailing list.
>

> Mal,
>
> These sites are delivered on Akamai and the reason why you are being blocked
> is due to your current and or previous activity across sites delivered from
> the Akamai platform. Otherwise known as Client Reputation. The website
> owners have implemented a block policy to block clients with a poor track
> record from accessing their site.
>

> There are currently 4 categories of bad actors Akamai detects with Client
> Reputation.
>
> 1)       Web Attackers – Performed application layer attacks
>
> 2)       Scrapers – Non human traffic
>
> 3)       DoS Attackers – Participated in DDoS attacks
>
> 4)       Web Scanners – used automated penetration testing or vulnerability
> testing tools.
>

> On the 06/06/2016 at 01:45:00 PM, your network sent 7982 requests in an
> attempt to brute force ASP login pages across 1 different applications. Your
> network has been categorized as a Web Attacker based on this history.
>

> So I would recommend that you perform penetration testing from a different
> location from where you browse the internet. Or if you’re not familiar with
> any penetration testing activity, then it is a sign of a compromised host in
> your infrastructure.
>

> If your network is cleaned up or stop doing this activity, over the next
> week or so and your client reputation score will automatically decay to zero
> based on current decay for your network.
>

> If you have any questions, please see here
> https://community.akamai.com/community/cloud-security/blog/2016/4/19
>
> You are welcome to ask any questions there.

It would be better to include some or all of the above in the access
denied error message so that people aren't wondering what the problem
is.

(I don't think there is any excuse for terse error messages or just
error codes anymore - it's 2016, we have plenty of CPU, RAM and
bandwidth so we can afford to help make troubleshooting easier and
quicker. The developer seconds saved by being terse can multiply into
100s of hours of lost time to the developer's end-users, in particular
for Internet scale services like Akamai et. al.)

Regards,
Mark.