[AusNOG] Nokia partnership will build "Europe's first" 10Gbps residential network | Delimiter

Petri Ojala petri.ojala at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:46:11 EST 2016

Starman, the company behind this project, is a commercial company and the second largest ISP in the country.   Elion, the local TeliaSonera subsidiary, is the largest.  Starman's origins are more in the HFC field, Elion does FTTP and VDSL.

70% of the country was already covered by FTTP back in 2014 and HFC also covers the biggest cities (for example Starman is offering up to 500 Mbit/s on their HFC network, 33€/month, or 50 AUD).  Even in rural areas FTTP coverage is 50% (2014).   FTTP coverage doubled between 2012 and 2014.

One should remember that Estonia is one of the most advanced countries for digital society.  Even I'm an Estonian eCitizen.  All have smart cards that can be used for official business, voting, digital signature etc.

The announcement is about upgrading the existing services to 10GE from the current 100M and GE levels, Estonia has had 100 Mbit/s connections for years.   Sorry NBN but around Europe 100M is the old norm, gigabit is the current standard offering.  For example right here, across the pond from Estonia, I've got a gigabit internet access and I have three carriers who can do gigabit for me (two fiber and one HFC).  OH, the third fiber provider is doing just 350 Mbit/s but they are upgrading to gigabit all around.  ADSL is going away faster than voice lines, and they haven't sold voice lines for years..   And despite all this, we're in the middle class in Europe.

Petri