[AusNOG] NBN Approved Devices List

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Jul 17 07:04:55 EST 2016

It's not an NF4V is it?  If so, go get something else, they're just
horrendous ;)  (Seriously, they reboot, by themselves, at least once every
24 hours).

I've found that line length can be quite a contributing factor.  At our
previous house, I was using a Draytek Vigor 130.  Its default firmware is
not Vectoring enabled, so that was a week without line sync, while waiting
for the Telstra modem to arrive, and then being able to log a fault to have
the port re-enabled.  With the correct Vectoring-enabled firmware loaded,
it synced 10mbps slower than the Telstra TG799vac, but it ran cooler, and
was generally more stable. (The TG799 rebooted every couple of days, and
usually just as you fired up BF4 or something ;).  When we shifted house,
going from 623m line length to ~120m, the Vigor refused to maintain sync -
it'd come up at the full 110/44, but then lose line sync somewhere from
every few minutes to every couple of hours.  The NF4V reboots multiple
times a day all by itself (Apparently this is common).  The TPLink W9970
maintains sync nicely, but has no option to turn off NAT.

I've ended up with the TPG-supplied HG658. I was dubious at first, but it
'just works', and is quite happy to have NAT disabled and just route a
public /28 into the 'LAN'.  There's no option to allow external access to
the admin interface, so you need to access it from a VPN which terminates
'inside' the LAN, if you want remote access..  It also doesn't support SNMP
or remote syslog, so it's something of a black box.

There's a real need for an FTTN-compatible VDSL2 modem which works
reliably, and ticks all the usual boxes.  Hopefully one of the large
manufacturers eventually steps up to the plate as FTTN gets rolled out
further, and it stops being just some cute little thing that Australia is
doing.

On 16 July 2016 at 20:52, Andrew Kitchen <a.kitchen at xi.com.au> wrote:

> Hey Everyone
>
> I am trying to find an official list of NBN Approved devices.
>
> We are using Netcomm device at present and we are having issues with on a
> 50Mb/20Mb circuit that it is constantly dropping out.
>
> NBN Co have said it is the modem that is the issue but we have tested the
> modem on another FTTN connection and it hasn't missed a beat.
>
> Then they said it's an incorrectly set SRA setting we then enable this and
> still no improvement.
>
> Has anyone experienced a similar issue and could suggest things we can try
> because both the EU and us as the service provider don't know where to go
> next.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>

> Andrew Kitchen | Business DevelopmentStrategist
> PO Box 3279, The Pines, Victoria, 3109
> T 1300 789 299 D 03 9909 3102 M 0449 561 461 F 03 8611 7946
> a.kitchen at xi.com.au | www.xi.com.au
>

> This email message and any attachments are the property of X Integration.
> The contents of this email are copyright and may also be confidential
> and/or legally privileged. They are intended solely for the addressee and
> it is not intended that either confidentiality or privilege be waived or
> lost by mistaken delivery to you. Please notify us immediately and delete
> this communication if received in error. Consider the environment before
> printing this email.

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/