[AusNOG] Any point peering out west for an east coast ISP?

Gavin Tweedie gav at narx.net
Tue Jul 5 11:20:53 EST 2016

Hey James,

Yep there are a few local networks that you won't see peering in other
states but your traffic volumes might not make commercial sense to build
backhaul to WA/SA just for it depending on what your netflow/sflow shows
you and your cost base. A couple of the bigger ones in WA are some/most
of the WA Government & Woodside along with a bunch of smaller/local
networks.

As you correctly state many of the nationals peer elsewhere (or their
transit supplier does), so you'd possibly be shifting it from their
backhaul to yours. That is of course assuming they are carrying it
nationally and not just dumping it on their domestic transit in SA/WA in
which case that might swing your business case a bit! Also depends where
you sit on the cost/control/reliability curve. Might not be the cheapest
option but may give you better control for example.

I'd recommend you grab a dump from the WAIX looking glass and run some
flow analysis on your side to make an informed decision. Joe will no
doubt help you out too :)

Gavin
.. hat-less