[AusNOG] VOIP PBX Analog card advice

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Jan 21 16:34:43 EST 2016

Given that most providers can port existing numbers to SIP trunks. I
would question the wisdom of using Analog Line cards for anything. PSTN
has the tendency to suffer echo due to impedance mismatching and once
you add the delay of voip it can be quite noticeable even with top shelf
hardware echo cancellation.   It's 2016 why not use a SIP trunk.

Matt.

On 21/01/2016 4:16 PM, paul+ausnog at oxygennetworks.com.au wrote:

> Afternoon all, normally we provide SIP only PBX services for customers
> however we have been asked to provide a SIP PBX with Analogue PSTN
> lines for inbound and outbound calls.
>
> We normally provide Elastix as a simple cost effective PBX for small
> customers and in general it works well for what they need.
>
> I am looking for some wisdom from people who have installed a decent 4
> line card for use with Elastix before quoting the customer as we had
> experience some time ago with timing issues when using analogue cards
> with VOIP handsets.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379        Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299        matt at spectrum.com.au
                                    Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         Spectrum Networks is a member of the Communications Alliance & TIO
*/