[AusNOG] Data Retention - List of Agencies

Tony Miles tmiles42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 12:30:09 EST 2016

The other problem with the increasing number of "authorised agencies" is
that it will increase the burden on SP's (ie. us guys) to fill all these
requests. I seem to recall this being one of the concerns of the industry
and that the response was "it will only be a small list" and "it will only
be law enforcement type people" ?

I'm still not sure how gaining access to metadata is going to hep someone
like the National Measurement Institute catch more people using dodgy
weights ? Apart from catching those who already knew that the weighing was
bad and were trying to communicate this to someone else via email (ie. an
employee reporting via email to management that they thought the scales
need calibrating). Maybe I'm just not being inventive enough in what
information they could glean from the metadata ?

Those fines (for Coles, Woolies, Jewellers) are a joke too. Shortfalls of
up to 50% and they were fined $3000. I suspect that the cost of finding and
enforcing that $3000 fine was a heck of a lot more than the actual fine.

I guess the best we can do at this stage is write to anyone who will listen
and try and prevent the travesty from getting worse...