[AusNOG] MANRS Project - Fixing the Internet's routing security is urgent and requires collaboration

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Feb 29 17:38:46 EST 2016

On 29 Feb 2016, at 13:13, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> A DDOS source originating from one IP address is rather a different
> matter from a DDOS source originating a billion IPs

Not necessarily.

And note that with regards to UDP reflection/amplification DDoS attacks,
the traffic on the reflector/amplifier-to-target leg of the attack isn't
spoofed.

Something much easier to implement *right now* in Australia is for
broadband access providers to scan their customer CPE devices, and start
suspending accounts of those who're running abusable devices (after fair
warning, of course).

Comcast are doing this in the US, FYI.

Here's a .pdf preso on the topic of abusable CPE devices I gave a few
years ago at the World Broadband Forum:

<https://app.box.com/s/rblnddlhda44giwfa8hy>