[AusNOG] MANRS Project - Fixing the Internet's routing security is urgent and requires collaboration

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Feb 29 16:40:20 EST 2016

On 29 Feb 2016, at 12:33, Mark Andrews wrote:

> So 16 years is not enough time for them to do the right thing?

Ignorance and apathy are the key reasons we don't have near-universal
source-address validation.  I'm not apologizing for anyone - you know
very well that I advocate for implementing source-address validation, as
you've seen/heard me talk about it many times before.

My point is that we're in the situation we're in, and not in some
idealized situation, and it's important to understand that we can't wave
a magic wand and make this happen overnight.  Access networks are the
logical places to implement source-address validation by default, as
they're the points in the network where it's least likely to cause
operational problems and where the requisite features are available on
most major hardware platforms.