[AusNOG] Telstra mobile down "nationwide"

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Feb 16 07:42:34 EST 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:

> 166gbps, and assuming you're using 8 bits per byte.
>
> When did we start using 8 bits per byte for calculating comms rates, rather
> than 10?

Surely 10-bits-per-byte makes sense with asynchronous serial using 1 start
bit and 1 stop bit.

I thought most stuff in use these days achieves bit-for-bit over the wire?

> I figured on 208gbps including signalling overhead

Ahh, if you're including all the overheads - including IP headers, TCP/UDP
headers etc, then you're probably close, or perhaps underestimating it.
BUT - how much of the signalling is end-to-end (and therefore typically
charged for and probably a valid inclusion in the bytecount?).

>> My math says 1.8PB over 24 hours works out to an average of 160gbps?

1.8PB * 8 bits = 14.4 petabits, divided by 86400 seconds = 166.67 gigabits
per second average = close enough :)