[AusNOG] VDSL / ADSL crosstalk

David Hughes david at hughes.com.au
Fri Feb 12 07:47:56 EST 2016

Morning all,

Can someone with experience with deployment of VDSL (or VDSL2) based services into an MDU environment (FTTB or "Wireless TTB" for example) comment on the impact it has on existing DSL services from exchanged based DSLAMS.  If memory serves me correctly, VDSL mostly uses frequencies significantly higher than DSL for most of its signalling and drops the volume in the range below 2MHz that DSL utilises with the aim of eliminating cross talk with the legacy services.

Is that recollection correct?  From practical experience, is it enough to stop local VDSL kit from tromping over services being delivered from the exchange that are running over the same cable plant within the building?

Also, I assume that if at some stage NBN replaced exchanged based ADSL with their own FTTB kit in the building then there would be crosstalk issues between to 2 competing VDSL DSLAMs?

Thanks

David