[AusNOG] Telstra mobile down "nationwide"

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:18:53 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Paul Wallace <paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au>
wrote:
> about as likely as DDOS bringing down the power grid

You mean like this one:

The cyberattack on Ukraine's power grid is a warning of what's to come
January 13, 2016 by Nilufer Tuptuk And Stephen Hailes, Ucl, The Conversation

When more than 100,000 people in and around the Ukrainian city of
Ivano-Frankivsk were left without power for six hours, the Ukrainian energy
ministry accused Russia of launching a cyberattack on the country's
national energy grid.

Now reports released by security researchers from the SANS Industrial
Control Systems team and the Industrial Control Systems Cyber Emergency
Response Team confirm their belief that a cyberattack was responsible for
the power cut, making the incident one of the first significant, publicly
reported cyberattacks on civil infrastructure.
This is a rare event, of which the most famous example is the Stuxnet
malware used to destroy equipment in the Iranian nuclear programme.

etc at:
http://phys.org/news/2016-01-cyberattack-ukraine-power-grid.html

> all the targets elements are deep inside their networks so not visible to
the outside world

> no doubt it'll somehow happen someday though given the reports on
compromised ACLs & other low levels control elements around the world.

I remember getting into deep "discussions" with vendors in early GPRS
deployment when a certain vendor wanted firewalls on either side of a
number of elements. The impact on latency was disproportionate to the risk,
and indicated that the mobile elements at the time were arguably not fit
for purpose. If router vendors could sell me hardened interfaces and back
their product with appropriate security services and patching, so could
these mobile vendors. IMNSHO of the time.

Ahh. Takes me back...

Narelle