[AusNOG] Internet companies forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites in Australia, Federal Court rules

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:24:10 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 12:43 PM, Damien Gardner Jnr <rendrag at rendrag.net>
wrote:

> Didn't the court order specifically say they were to do DNS blocking?  Why
> are there articles suggesting they are going to block cloudflare?  Just for
> shock value?
>

>From the orders:
"2. Each respondent must, within 15 business days of these orders, take
reasonable steps to disable access to the Target Online Locations.
3. Order 2 is taken to have been complied with by a respondent if that
respondent implements any one or more of the following steps:
(a) DNS Blocking in respect of the Target Domain Names;
(b) IP Address blocking or re-routing in respect of the Target IP Addresses;
(c) URL blocking in respect of the Target URLs and the Target Domain Names;
or
(d) any alternative technical means for disabling access to the Target
Online Locations as agreed in writing between the applicant and a
respondent."

There are 33 respondents to this, which you can basically summarise by
Telstra, Optus, TPG. They are the ones required to "disable access" to the
named sites.

It would be fairly tragic if any of those ISPs happened to block all of
Cloudflare when attempting to comply with the order. I rather suspect they
have other means of blocking these services. At least for the five minutes
before they appeared in another form that wasn't sufficiently the same...

But yes, should any of those particular ISPs simply apply an IP block in
order to comply then I rather suspect we have bigger problems in the
internet in Australia...

Happy silly season everyone

--

Narelle