[AusNOG] Internet companies forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites in Australia, Federal Court rules

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Dec 15 18:59:37 EST 2016

On 15/12/2016 15:59, James Braunegg wrote:

> Under the ruling, copyright holders will have to pay $50 to internet companies for every domain blocked.  ß I wonder if this is a per month charge... or is this chargeable teach time a DNS Server is deployed  / re configured.

Once off, 50 +GST charge

> Once the sites are blocked, people who continue to visit the blocked sites will see a warning page informing them the site cannot be accessed.

This is where they were smart arses in trying to claim setup costs, had
they claimed 5 or 6K for landing page server, fair chance they might
have been awarded that, but telstra being telstra... you know...

> The "landing page" as it is referred to, will be hosted by either the ISP or the rights holder.  ß What a nice attack target that will be for kids on Holidays who can not download...

Not likely, if you host it, might be a different story if you redirect
them to the applicants, however, I would advise against using "their"
landing page, since its a nice possible future ambulance chasing
exercise with all those IP addresses they will log and keep forever.

> So where is the official piece of paper....  And how will this stop users from using 8.8.8.8 for DNS.

First, you were not a named respondent, so you have breathing space
until they go back to Federal Court with you as such ;)

Second,  you don't have to worry about other peoples networks, only your
own, the justice knows what he's doing, and ordering, he could have gone
a whole lot further that would cause serious grief as we all know, so be
thankful this is the sort of orders one can expect.

> Again another pointless exercise.

 *nod*

--
Kind Regard,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/