[AusNOG] Softlayer tech pls contact re brute force from your network

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Dec 6 14:41:36 EST 2016

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016, Scott Howard wrote:

> http://www.fail2ban.org/
>
>  Scott

Blocking at the destination is a quick way to reduce the impact, but it
still consumes resources, wastes bandwidth and leaves the original host
(the source of the problem) un-addressed.

If the box has been compromised, I'm sure the owner would like to know.
If the owner is using it for questionable or illegal activity, I'd expect
the hosting provider would like to know about it and take action.

A firewall rule at (a singular) endpoint might be the current "least
effort" way of addressing network problems, but imagine if everyone did
their job and kept their particular corner of the internet tidy, how much
easier it'd be for us all?

Or am I just being a stick-in-the-mud old-skewl fart?