[AusNOG] Controlling spam in IaaS environment

Andrew McN andrew at mcnaughty.com
Thu Dec 1 21:43:50 EST 2016

Do you really need to be providing a mail relay service yourself?  Do
you really want to restrict your customers to your chosen offering for that?

It's probably not practical to technically lock down what can be used
(especially given https submission of email).  Use of an outbound spam
filtering service could be a TOS requirement though.

Block outgoing port 25 without exception.  Your customers should
generally be submitting SMTP(S) mail to relays on port 587 or 465, or
using a service over https.

Mailchimp (including mandrill), Sendgrid, and Barracuda come to mind as
relay services you could suggest to customers, though that selection is
biased towards the sort of operations I'm involved in.

Andrew