[AusNOG] Pen Testing Tools

Bob Purdon bobp at purdon.id.au
Thu Dec 1 10:06:06 EST 2016

*  Absolutely – I have seen something as simple as an nmap port scan tickle a latent bug and cause widespread service interruptions.

*  If an application is so buggy that it falls over to a ping sweep maybe we should be thanking the tester for uncovering the critical flaw in the application instead?! :P

It wasn’t just a ping sweep – I think it was a TCP scan from memory.

Yes, it was good to find the bug and get the vendor to fix it, but finding it in a more controlled manner would have produced a better outcome :)

(and no, it wasn’t me that did this port scan, but I did find out about it very quickly after it happened)