[AusNOG] LibreNMS vs Observium

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Wed Aug 31 12:52:04 EST 2016

(Apologies if this shows up as a duplicate - I had issues posting.)

On 29/08/16 11:33, Dino Sosic wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> Has anyone used both of these? Can you tell me why you would prefer one
> over the other? Please don’t go into the whole discussion about the
> owner of Observium. I just want to know which one would you say is
> better, and why?

Hi Dino,

Speaking as the person who forked LibreNMS from Observium - prompted by
the behaviour of said owner and goaded on by several participants in the
AusNOG IRC channel, I figure I should offer my take on this. :-)
Besides the obvious personal bias, I am also a certifiable Free Software
bigot, and that unashamedly colours my view of the situation. [1]

My advice: if you want something you can treat as a black box, use
Observium; if you want to work, test, and experiment in a supportive
community, we welcome your participation in LibreNMS.

Observium is a product, LibreNMS is a project.  I didn't fork Observium
because I wanted better software to use; I started LibreNMS because I
wanted a better community in which to collaborate with like-minded
professionals.  The project has exceeded that goal beyond my wildest
dreams, but it's by no means perfect software, nor is it likely to be so
in the future.

--
Regards,
Paul