[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Fri Aug 12 12:07:09 EST 2016

On 12/08/2016 7:22 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
> They’re trying to get future trends — i.e., stuff that the transport authorities and other government authorities don’t have yet.
> In practice, Australia has spent as long as I can remember being run by middle-management rejects who govern by thought-bubble. In that context, ABS data probably isn’t worth much because the people making the decisions just don’t care.

Sure - but its not just used by government types, whatever level of competency you
apply to them. The ABS publishes much of the dataset publicly, so private
organisations and individuals can also discern trends and plan for future services,
future business opportunities, future business locations, at least with a broad brush.
Its not just governments that make decisions.

Paul