[AusNOG] census issues tonight

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Aug 10 13:00:50 EST 2016

On 10/08/2016 11:43, Robert Hudson wrote:

> This *was* an attack.  Pure and simple.  A DDoS (which is how we generally describe a "large scale denial of service attempt") is, by its very nature, an attack.
>
> Unless the perpetrators have been identified and have released their agenda, how can we possibly know their motives?  How do they know that security was not compromised, and no data was lost?  Surely the inability for the ABS to collect a large proportion of the one-night snapshot of data on the Australian population on that one night, should be considered to be a significant loss of data for the ABS (OK, it isn't a data breach, but that's not what he's saying here).  How do we know that the DDoS wasn't a curtain to conceal other activities?

The attack IP's might be foreign, but I bet anything the perpetrators
are Australian.
A lot in the media is coming from self proclaimed "experts", Channel 7's
was some clown from a university in NSW, forget who, I didnt recognise
his name so he's irrelevant.

Thankfully we have enough journos on this list who know by now teh right
people to ask, just sad none of them work for mainstream electronic or
print media.

--

 		If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you
best first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/